Since very early days, Baltimore City has always been looking for realiable water sources for the growing city. This search took on new importance after the 1904 fire which destroyed 140 acres with 1,500 buildings in the center of the city. Early planners always looked to the Gunpowder River as a possible source. An 1852 detailed plan showed an interesting approach.
Instead of this approach, a tunnel was bored from the new 1881 dam through solid granite directly to Montebello.
After the new dam was built in 1915 and raised in 1919, the Balancing Reservoir was built in 1922 as a part of the Baltimore City water supply from the dam. Its ingenious design, with no moving parts, allowed the water system to efficiently operate during low and high water levels.
Click on image for better copy of sign.